Life is a Song, Love is the Music.

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

If that's what makes you happy...

Here we are in bolstering 2009, where the importance of an education is dire. There's so many career oriented people at Glenville that I get confused when I log onto my myspace and see the majority of people I graduated high school with holding toddlers-- their own toddlers, or they have a nice big belly and engagement rings. While I am happy for them because they seem happy, I am upset over their ignorance of bigger and better experiences. It isn't that I am against getting married to a coal miner and having children at such a young age. My mother was that woman, and she made her career out of being a mom, and an excellent one at that. In fact, motherhood is part of my plans. I have my entire 20s to figure that out, so why not get a fulfilling college experience?

I want to throw up when I see my classmates making a "career" out of working at Dollar General as a cashier. That's a summer job for a high school kid, not something anyone would want to do for all of their life. Where's the intellectual stimulation? From working at Wal-mart for a summer, I couldn't imagine making a living from being a cashier. After a while, I was SOOOOO bored. I need something fun. I suppose I've developed the idea that I have to love what I do to the point of my job not actually being work.

I had to get out of southern WV. Now, I consider myself blessed to have the opportunity to go to college. It's something my parents didn't have due to financial issues, but nowadays, practically anyone can go if they want it bad enough. Debt sucks, but loans are possible. An education is worth it. Doing what you want to do is worth it. I can't imagine going to "work" at Wal-mart when I have the ability to "go be a music teacher". I can't imagine living in Bolt, WV just being a housewife. That's great and all, but there's more out there for me. I see no advantage in starting a family at 20 years of age.

So, I've decided that I must see the world while I'm at it. I'm going to be a teacher, which to most people, it isn't exactly the most appealing job out there. Then again, it's my opportunity to share my music with people. This is what I've wanted to do since I was 7 years old. My original plan was to teach during the regular school season, then get a summer job or continue whatever private music lessons I might be involved with. Now, I've decided that I will take the teacher's benefit of being off for the summers, and become a frequent flyer so I can educate myself about weird non-American/non-West Virginian cultures. I love WV, but I have to get out of the "woods" for a few months out of the year so I can experience bigger and better things while keeping the permanent comfort of living in the hills.

That'll do for a nice blog :)

2 Comments:

Blogger Tanya Johnson said...

Amen to that, Sister!!!! Go see what the world has to offer! I am a HUGE advocate of traveling. You know that. The more you see, the more you understand. I know that Canada is at the top of your list...but I highly recommend Europe as well. Go get that passport and put some stamps in it! Missing you...Tanya

May 14, 2009 at 4:28 PM  
Blogger Tanya Johnson said...

I need your email address...I'm having MSB-withdrawal!!!

May 15, 2009 at 7:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home